Wednesday 16 March 2011

Aberdeenshire couple Insches away from death

An Insch couple are recovering from burns after a gas explosion destroyed their company’s production facility.

Philip and Janet Watson have spoken for the first time after a gas explosion in their Wardhouse manufacturing shed left them in hospital.


View Larger Map

Philip said: “It was a huge explosion. I was sitting at my desk and the next thing I knew the whole place had exploded. The roof blew off and the building is just destroyed – there’s nothing left.”

Janet was setting up the burner for their Glen ‘O’ Deer food business when the blast happened.

She said: “I had run out of matches so I nipped inside the house and got a petrol lighter. It was only a matter of a minute or so. I then flicked the lighter and everything just went white – it was like looking down a white tunnel.”

The explosion threw Mrs Watson to the ground before the wooden building collapsed.

“The bang was so loud. I was so scared. It took me a few seconds to realise what had happened.”

There were two canisters in the shed and they feared there would be a second explosion.

The couple’s neighbour claimed his tractor jumped from the impact of the explosion.

Philip, who has been in business with his wife for 15 years, said: “I couldn’t believe what had happened. I have never been so close to death. We certainly won’t ever be using gas again.”

Grampian Fire and Rescue Station manager Bruce Milne is urging people with gas canisters near their homes to follow safety precautions.

No comments:

Post a Comment